Please note: the Abstracts Submissions deadline has closed and we are no longer accepting abstracts.
We would be grateful if colleagues could forward the calls and key dates to interested persons through appropriate notice boards, peer networks and associates.
All abstract submissions must be made through the online form available at the 'Submit Your Abstract' page. Accepted abstracts will be published on the 'Accepted Abstracts' page according to the following timetable:
- Call for abstracts opens: 17 April 2019
- Abstracts Submission Deadline (extended): Friday 21st June 2019 (400 words maximum) NOW CLOSED
- Peer Review process: 24th June to 31st July 2019
- Target date for authors notified of Peer Review: early August 2019
- Target dates for publication of accepted Abstracts: early to mid-August 2019
Programme Publication Dates
Full details of the conference programme will appear on the 'Final Programme' page (when published) according to the following timetable:
- Target date for publication of Provisional Conference Programme: early August 2019
- Target date for publication of Final Conference Programme: late August 2019
Registration & Conference Dates
Registration will open on the 'Conference Registration' page according to the timetable below. Please Note: the vast majority of Making Futures delegates are also presenters, meaning that the conference functions as a critically intensive but extremely supportive and friendly convention of interested subjects. This is also helped by capping delegate places at a moderate number, with priority going to presenters. Non-presenter delegate places are restricted and sold on a first come first serve basis and registration will close as soon as all places have been allocated. In previous Making Futures this has occurred well before the final deadline date.
Making Futures is a not-for-profit venture and all receipts go to covering essential external costs associated with mounting the initiative. Nonetheless, we are pleased to announce that for this edition we have been able to make significant reductions to ticket prices – see Conference Registration page for details:
- Online registration will open in early June 2019
- Deadline for all registrations: 13 September 2019
- Making Futures Conference: Thursday 19 and Friday 20 September 2019
Associated Making Futures Exhibitions
Full details of the exhibition can be found under the 'Exhibitions' page.
- Mathew Raw: ‘Tactile Change’, September – November 2019
- Nick Gant and Tanya Dean: ‘Sole Searching – an exhibition of shoes and stories of waste and want’, 19 and 20 September 2019
Post-Conference Volume Dates
We typically publish the conference proceedings in the online publication in the year following the conference. In previous years we have put considerable time and resources into proofing papers and in going back to authors for corrections and rewrites, followed by final paper formatting and layout checks, and embedding within the online journal structure. However, to significantly speed up the process and reduce costs, authors submitting to the proceedings will be given an on-line template within which they will format and submit their contribution, thus reducing the need for editorial oversight and support. The whole process is envisaged as taking approximately four months from the time of the conference.
However, in addition to the proceedings, through an editorial committee we will select a number of papers and publish these as a separate fully edited Journal monograph within the year following the conference.
- Target date for publication of post-conference proceedings: February 2020
- Target date for publication of fully edited Journal monograph: September 2020